7/6/2014 1:36:00 PM 'Hamilton County Courthouse 1879 and 1974'
Brad Cook Brad Cook's Hamilton County
The Hamilton County Historic Courthouse underwent many changes over the decades. The photo on the left shows the Courthouse when it was first constructed in 1879. The ornate building was designed by Edwin May, who is best known today as the architect of the Indiana State Capital. One million bricks from the Peerless Co. of Philadelphia were used in the construction of the $150,000 building. The galvanized iron cornices and other ornamentation that was clearly visible in the original building are missing in the 1974 photo shown on the right. When roof repairs were necessary over the years, the fancy details were removed from the structure. The restoration of the Courthouse that began on Sept. 19, 1992, made every effort to reestablish the original exterior architectural features. Today, the building looks much like it did when it was first constructed 135 years ago.