Times photo provided
Fishers firefighters had to run more than 1,500 feet of hose to fight a house fire Friday afternoon.
Times photo provided Fishers firefighters had to run more than 1,500 feet of hose to fight a house fire Friday afternoon.

FISHERS – A family of three was uninjured when a fire on the porch of their Fishers home caused extensive damage Friday afternoon.

Fishers firefighters battled the fire as well as cold temperatures.

An occupant of the residence, 10800 block of E. 116th St., noticed a fire on the front porch, likely caused by ashes from the fireplace the homeowner thought were cool. The ashes had been placed in a non-metal container.

The fire caused significant damage.

The fire started around 11:30 a.m. The house sets back more than 1,000 feet from the street and firefighters used more than 1,500 feet of hose to connect to the hydrants for water supply.

Firefighters remind homeowners with fireplaces to place ashes in a metal container and that ashes can remain hot for numerous days.  Wet liberally with water and keep away from structures.

Assisting agencies were Fishers Police Department, Hamilton County Sheriff Department, Carmel Fire Department, and Fishers Fire Corps.