Home | Contact Us | Facebook | Subscribe | Advertise
The Noblesville Times 24-7
  • 'Noblesville Hitch and Feed Barn'
    12/27/2015 Since this column began on Nov. 2, 2009, I have been able to submit an image (photograph, painting, ad, etc.) and have a caption describing something about the history behind the image.
  • 12/21/2015 The Craycraft Dry Goods Co. wished the community "Merry Christmas" for 94 years. Daniel Craycraft founded the store in 1867 at a time when Hamilton County was only 44 years old. The store was originally located at the northeast corner of Ninth and Logan streets in downtown Noblesville but moved in 1875 to the southeast corner of Ninth and Conner streets. The store expanded at that location to eventually occupy three buildings with two floors and a balcony. Daniel was followed in business by his two sons, Albert and George. When George passed, his sons, George and David, became owners with their uncle. In the trade, the store was known as a junior department store. It sold primarily dry goods including women's apparel, rugs, millinery, men's shirts and accessories. The store also sold Victor records and Victrola phonographs. Craycraft Dry Goods closed in February 1962.

    Brad Cook is a Noblesville historian who graduated in 1973 from Noblesville High School. He provides historical photos of Noblesville each Monday in The Times.

  • Santa's House
    12/13/2015 A visit to Santa's House has been a cherished holiday tradition in downtown Noblesville for over 50 years. Santa makes regular visits to the house each year beginning with the Christmas Parade and ending on Christmas Eve. The original Santa House was built by Dick Zeiss in 1962.
  • 'Noblesville Basketball 1909-10'
    12/6/2015 In 1909 and 1910, Noblesville High School did not have a basketball team (first season was 1912-13). The school had football, track and field, and baseball. But apparently the school had an intramural basketball program.
  • Interurban RR jumps tracks
    11/29/2015 About 9:30 p.m. on a Saturday evening, May 24, 1919, a southbound interurban train jumped the tracks in downtown Noblesville causing a terrible mess.
  • 'Hayden Drugs'
    11/22/2015 Hayden Drugs was a popular pharmacy in Noblesville. Pharmacist Bob Hayden opened the store in October of 1955. It was located at 1051 N. 10th St.
  • Zeckel's Clothing Store'
    11/15/2015 Ben Zeckel emigrated from Russia in 1913 and settled in Noblesville. In 1922, he opened a men's clothing store, Zeckel's Clothing, where the Uptown Café is located today at the southeast corner of Eighth and Conner streets in downtown Noblesville.
  • 'E. H. Willits Co. 1967'
    11/8/2015 E. H. Willits Co. was a popular dry goods and clothing store on the north side of the Courthouse Square in downtown Noblesville for nearly five decades. Willits was located in the 1887 Sowerwine Building (874 Logan St.) which housed dry goods businesses for over 120 years.
  • '10th Street Grocery 1968'
    11/1/2015 Small neighborhood grocery stores used to provide a lot of the food necessities in Noblesville. One of the most popular was 10th Street Grocery. From 1959 until 1976, Jere "Rowdy"s Roudebush and his wife, Phyllis, owned the store located at 723 S. 10th St.
  • 'NHS Hockey 1926'
    10/25/2015 In 1926, Noblesville High School introduced a new sport: girls hockey. A teacher at the school, Josephine Craig, organized the group with hopes it would eventually be one of the most popular forms of athletics at the school. Miss Craig had graduated from NHS and got her college degrees in physical education, history and mathematics from Indiana University.
Looking for something older? Try our archive search

Sunday, November 18, 2018

Site Search

GO


Our app is now available!

     
    



© 2018 The Times
a division of Sagamore News Media
920 S. Logan St, Suite 101 Noblesville, IN 46060

(317) 770-7777

life

Software © 1998-2018 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved