Noblesville Police have handed off the investigation of an officer-involved shooting from early Wednesday morning to the Carmel Police Department.
“I am grateful for the continued commitment from the Noblesville Police Department to keep our community safe,” Noblesville Mayor Chris Jensen said. “Our officers train tirelessly for instances they hope to never face, but are prepared for when they do. I am thankful for our partners at the Carmel Police Department who, per protocol, will step in to lead the investigation into this shooting.”
The situation unfolded with a call to Noblesville police early Wednesday morning at 5:22 a.m. According to Lt. Bruce Barnes with the Noblesville Police, there was not much information and officers responded by going to 698 S 5th St., near Southside Park. They did not get a response from anyone in the house. However, they heard yelling coming from the west. That's when officers made contact with a subject and his girlfriend walking back toward the residence.
During the encounter, the male subject was shot by a Noblesville Police Officer. Immediately after he was shot, the officers on scene began giving aid until medics from the Noblesville Fire Department arrived and transported him to IU Health Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis. The male subject has been identified as 41-year-old Karmen Parrish of an unknown address. Parrish is currently in stable condition.
No officers were injured and NPD said that no other details were available. The investigation is ongoing and Carmel Police Investigators will be handling the investigation in order to ensure impartiality.
". . . Our officers responded to disturbance calls multiple times at the same residence involving an individual with an active warrant,” Jensen said. “The final interaction ended in an officer-involved shooting, which is an unfortunate ending to any public safety call for assistance. I have been briefed on the status of the matter and continue to receive updates on a regular basis. Our community’s safety is my No. 1 priority."
The Times reached out to Lt. Tim Byrne with the Carmel Police Department. He said an update would be coming out soon.