Activities, Perks to Honor Veterans
It’s time to celebrate our military veterans and thank them for their service.
Veterans Day will be celebrated Friday during an array of events in Hamilton County.
On Friday, most county government offices will be closed.
Here at the county seat in Noblesville, a Veterans Day program will begin at 11 a.m. Friday at the Hamilton County War Memorial on the Square in downtown Noblesville.
It’s put on by American Legion Post 45 and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6246.
James Martin, a member of the VFW, traditionally emcees the program.
A laying of the wreath is usually followed by a 21-gun salute by the Legion and VFW. Names of the deceased veterans are also usually read at Riverside Cemetery and Crownland Cemetery.
The community is invited to a free meal of Philly steak sandwiches and fries and “stunning custom cake” following the Veterans Day ceremony at the Noblesville American Legion, 1094 Conner St. The night’s entertainment will be Mississippi Raglips and the River Dogs at the Legion, a joint event with Noblesville VFW.
Thanks to the Nickel Plate Express, veterans and their families can enjoy free 30-minute caboose rides on Veterans Day. Guests will ride on the historic Nickel Plate Road in the little red caboose. Patriotic music will be enjoyed as veterans board the caboose.
In tradition, Cicero American Legion Post 341 members have put up American flags through Cicero and across the causeway on Wednesday.
In Cicero, area veterans are invited to a Cicero Kiwanis Club breakfast at 8:30 a.m. Saturday at United Family Wesleyan Church, 210 Washington Ave., Cicero. There will be a guest speaker and students from Kiwanis Key Club, Builders Club and K-Kids.Veterans may make reservations by calling (317) 420-4823 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Carmel will conduct its annual Veterans Day Ceremony at noon today (Thursday) at Booth Tarkington Civic Theatre, 3 Center Green, Suite 200, Carmel. Participants include Cherry Tree Elementary School Choir, Actors Theatre of Indiana, remarks by Mayor Jim Brainard and Carmel Clay Schools Superintendent Michael Beresford, recognition of “Saluting Our Heroes” student poster and essay contest and VFW/American Legion honor guard.
The Sheridan American Legion Post No. 67 will present a members-only Veterans Day Dinner on Saturday.
The First Presbyterian Church of Noblesville is having a special Veterans Day service at 10 a.m. Sunday. All veterans and their families are invited. The service will include patriotic music and a special guest speaker, Chaplain Samuel Cabrera from Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center in Indianapolis. The church is at 1207 Conner St., with the main entrance and parking behind the church. For questions, call 317-773-2383 or email email@example.com
Earlier this week, Noblesville Lions Club offered a dinner for invited local veterans, on Wednesday at Ginger’s Cafe, where veterans were given a chance to share stories.
Veterans can also enjoy many perks:
- -ll veterans are invited to enjoy lunch Friday and free coffee and donuts on Saturday at all Prime car wash locations. All current nonmember veterans receive one free month of unlimited Elite washes and all current members that are veterans receive a free hand wax detail service.
- Veterans and active-duty military get a free Lunch Combo at participating Little Caesars from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday in stores.
- Active-duty military, veterans, Reserves, and National Guard receive a free meal when dining in from a special menu at Applebee’s on Friday. And when dining in on November 11, military guests will receive a $5 Bounce Back Card to redeem for dine-in, To Go, or delivery within a three-week redemption window.
- Current and former military members receive a free meal Friday from a select menu at BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse in Noblesville, dine-in only.
- Veterans and active-duty military get a free meal from a select menu on Friday at Bob Evans, dine-in only.
- Veterans and active-duty service members get a free meal from a select menu on Friday at Chili’s, dine-in only.
- Veterans get a complimentary slice of Double Chocolate Fudge Coca-Cola Cake, in-store or online, Friday at Cracker Barrel.
- Veterans and active-duty military personnel can enjoy a free meal between 3 and 6 p.m. Friday from a special menu at participating Logan Roadhouse restaurants.
- Veterans and active-duty military get a free meal when you dine in on Friday at participating O’Charley’s.
- Veterans and active-duty military get a free Magnificent Seven Meal on Friday with valid ID at Perkins.
- Veterans and active-duty military get a free Red’s Tavern Double, with free refills of bottomless steak fries, when dining in on Friday at Red Robin.
- Starbucks will offer a free tall (12-ounce) hot brewed coffee or iced coffee for veterans, military service members and military spouses on Friday.
- Veterans and active-duty military receive a meal voucher on Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.; vouchers are good for dine-in or carry-out and can be used until May 30.
- Active-duty military and veterans get a free breakfast combo 6:30 to 10:30 a.m. Friday at Wendy’s.
- Veterans and active-duty military get a free Combo Meal or Breakfast Combo Meal on Friday when dining at a participating White Castle restaurant
Contact Betsy Reason at firstname.lastname@example.org.